Cuba is the westernmost and largest island of the West Indies Islands. Feel the 1950s vibe when walking through old Havana and enjoy the marvelous Spanish colonial architecture. Learn about political backgrounds and developments and be embraced by the extensive hospitality of the Cubans.
Day 1: Depart USA / Havana
- Meet your Tour Director on arrival
- Lunch at a private restaurant and Meet with the owner who recently opened this privately-run restaurant.
- Visit the Plaza de la Revolucion, the Presidential Palace, and Revolutionary Museum.
- See the Granma Memorial, the USS Maine Memorial.
- Dinner at the hotel
Day 2: Havana
- Explore Plaza de Armas and Havana's town hall, now the city museum, the Plaza Vieja
- See Saint Christopher on the Plaza de la Catedral, surrounded by some of Havana's oldest buildings
- Lunch with traditional Cuban music
- Interactive Cuban music workshop
- Learn about the Santeria religion where we meet with a Santeria practioner, Elias Aseff
- Meet with Dr. Norma Guillard, a women literacy worker, who is featured in the documentary film La Maestra
- Dinner at a local restaurant.
Day 3: Havana
- Visit a local School and meet with students and teachers
- The Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes with Lucila Hernandez, a contemporary art curator.
- Participate in a Cuban cooking class and an opportunity to prepare your own lunch!
- A private performance of the dance/musical group Havana Compass
- Round-table discussion on “US/Cuban Relations” to be given by Professor Raul
Day 4: Havana / Vinales / Havana
- Full day excursion to Vinales, famous for mogotes, 250-million year-old limestone mounds
- Stop en route at the Orchid Farm at Soroa containing over 800 species of plants
- Visit to a tobacco farm provides an opportunity to learn more about the growing of tobacco
- Lunch at Finca Ecologia, a private farm with beautiful views overlooking the valley
- Return to Havana and enjoy dinner at a local restaurant
Day 5: Trinidad Area
- Drive to Santa Clara and the Che Guevara Mausoleum
- Visit the Valle de los Ingenios which used to be the center of the sugar industry, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Check in to our hotel and enjoy dinner.
Day 6: Trinidad Area
- Explore Trinidad, the fourth of the seven cities founded by Diego de Velasquez in 1514
- Walking tour beginning at the Plaza Mayor
- Explore the cathedral, which is the largest church in Cuba, and is renowned for its acoustics
- Visit Julio Muñoz, a "horse whisperer and one of Trinidad’s most prominent entrepreneurs"
- Dinner at a lovely private restaurant – Casa de Los Conspiradores
Day 7: Playa Giron
- Drive to Cienfuegos Botanical Garden, a center for tropical plant research in the early 1900s
- Visit Cienfuegos, World Cultural Heritage site, which was founded by French settlers in 1819
- Stop at the Taller Grafico of Cienfuegos, a cooperative of young Cuban artists
- Attend a performance of Cantores de Cienfuegos, a versatile, 23-member choral group
- Drive to Playa Giron stopping for a chance to the world’s smallest hummingbird
- Farewell dinner.
Day 8: Playa Giron / Havana / Home
- Transfer to airport for flights home